A green stretch of water surrounded by a crown of mountains
The history of Lake Sauris, that, with its alluring beauty, imposes itself on the visitor just before arriving in town, and it dates back to the 1940s.
In 1941, for hydroelectric purposes, works to build an impressive dam on the Lumiei river were started. The dam, inaugurated in 1948, was 136 metres high and at that time, it was the highest in Italy and one of the largest in Europe. The construction of the dam formed an artificial basin, and the lake currently holds more than 70 million m3 of water.
The green lake welcomes visitors at the exit of the final rocky tunnel that characterises the adventurous road that links Ampezzo with Sauris: this is the door to Heaven.